Sunday, August 28, 2011

One Mistake, One Game

3 Weeks of volleyball done, and we had our 2nd home game against a team from olongapo on friday just 2 days ago. Our team expected a win this time, because this team was way smaller than us, and weaker compared to last week's team. In the 1st set, we struggled the first 5 points, trying to get our rhythm going, but once we got it we caught up and took the lead, and with very very good floor coverage and momentum we took the first set. Our first set was the most amazing receiving game I've ever encountered, and with these good receives they couldn't score on us and we could easily set up beautiful plays to score on them. With this said, coach T played the 2nd team for the 2nd set, although they lost the set, i could see improvement and a little bit better court movement, but there faces were still the same as last week. The quiet, still, worried, nervous, scared to make a mistake face, as a veteran player the team, i could totally relate to them when i used to be like that, the more you think about making a mistake, the more you will make it. Just enjoy the game, have confidence to receive the ball, set the ball and SPIKE that ball. But I can see that they're heading there, so i tried my best to relax them and help them enjoy, by cheering really loud, and slowly i could see their smiles and enjoyment and that's volleyball! 3rd set started, coach put me back in, it wasn't the starting 6, it was a mixture, and I used this chance to try and help other teammates on the court, motivating them, telling them to get low, hands up ready for blocking and SMILE. Our receiving was bad, so we were trailing behind, trying to stick with them and catch up. During the 2nd rotation, I did a good block from open, and ball landed straight down onto their court, and out of no where i cheered really loud and starting dancing, AS SOON AS FINISHED DANCING I instantly regretted, before that, I just wanted to bring up the teams momentum, but then I know what i did was really really bad sportsmanship, my face turned straight, and everyone else on the team were laughing, everyone but the coach... At that instance i knew i disappointed him, and I had no idea how i could take back what I've done already. I started getting emotional, a bit ashamed of myself, and i could see the other team starring at me, looking in a bad way, i embarrassed myself, the team, my coach, and my school, that's what went through my head the rest of the game. I just didn't know what to do in the rest of the game after that, the team turned quiet and our momentum died, i sat down after the set disappointed, the rest of the sets went messy, although we managed to win the last set, in which they did not even play serious about anymore, it still wasn't as good as the first one.
One I've learned in the game was that, learn to keep your composure, and this is what I've been trying to learn since last year, but it still got back to me after my BIG BIG mistake, because i've always pride myself for good sportsmanship, and what i did that day, was unacceptable, and a bad role model. Despite all this, I've recovered from it, and have been inspiring and motivating myself watching volleyball videos all weekend, and am SUPER SUPER excited for our tournament in hong kong, and again A STRONG team this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment